Europa-List: Voltage Regulator Problem?

Subject: Europa-List: Voltage Regulator Problem?
From: MJKTuck@cs.com
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:49:19

Hi Folks,

The last two or three times I have gone flying I have experienced a problem
with the 5A ALT FIELD circuit breaker popping. The solution at first seemed
easy just push it back in and all is well. It occurs usually at start up soon
after I turn on the radio panel circuit.

A couple of flights ago it popped a couple more times in the cruise and I
reset it with no further problems.

Yesterday however it popped quite a number of times (5 or 6) and only settled
down after I had turned the radio master off and back on again. I don't see
how turning the radios off would affect the ALT circuit breaker except I
suppose they use the most load.

Looking at the circuit the breaker is located between output C on the voltage
regulator and the main power bus (and thus the battery positive). Very
simple.

The only thing I can think of is that the voltage regulator is spiking at
more than 5 amps until it 'warms up' or reaches some kind of battery charged
point after the battery has been used after start (although the engine typically

fires after just a few turns).

Any ideas and/or solutions as to what the problem might be would be
appreciated. I would like to trouble shoot before replacing the regulator but do
not
want to remove the panel unless I really have to.

P.S I usually turn on (both) the split master/alt switch - perhaps I should
only turn on the alternator after engine start? I have close to 200 hours
flying time on the aircraft so again this is a doubtful cause.

Regards,
Martin Tuck
Europa N152MT
Wichita, Kansas