Re: Europa-List: Aileron trim motor

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Aileron trim motor
From: Ronald J. Parigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 11:34:06
--> Europa-List message posted by: "Ronald J. Parigoris"
<rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>

Hello Mike

I am not flying short wings yet. I talked to factory a while ago, and they
thought
the place for a trim would be outboard on the aileron. I did not get an answer
why.

I liked the idea of cutting up the aileron where there is little torsional
force.
(At root you need to transmit full aerodynamic force of aileron the the control
horn, not my first choice where to cut out structure. that said i see a number
of folk flying who seem happy doing this). I put on the port wing so can
eyeball position. I made it a hinge that is 10 inches long, and rounded the edge
so it fairs a bit right to the tip of the wing. This may be a little less
aerodynamic effective, but hurting someone walking by is a lot less likely.

I used a small ray allen servo, it is the one without a indicator. What i did
was
flush mounted the servo with the aileron, where the bottom of the servo will
be painted and will be the cover all in 1! It just so happens when you mount
the servo in this fashion the angle is pretty straight push to the tab horn.

I have switch/switches on stick for pitch, roll and prop with ability to
transfer
---From pilot to co-pilot.

Side note, a bit off subject, but when wiring my pitch and roll, i will
incorporate
electric motor braking. Easy to do, just connect the 2 leads going to motor
and you have brake! OK here is how you do it: (BTW supplied switch that i will
not be using from europa can do this) You start with 2 SPDT switches. Connect
the motor leads to the comm. Now connect + to both NO, and (-) to both NC.
Got it?? Motor leads both connected to ground when you release switches (Brake).
If you push both switches at the same time, both motor leads connected to
+ (Brake), push 1 switch and motor will run 1 way, push other switch and motor
will run the other way.

Ron Parigoris
A-265
N4211W monowheel