Europa-List: Mod 70

Subject: Europa-List: Mod 70
From: Bob Fairall <bfairall@fairalls.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:14:57

Wehey!

Guess what the postman's just brought me!!

One Mod 70!

I should explain, I asked to be prioritised for my 'Classic' (Kit 71,
G-BXLK, 400 trouble free hours) because, although not on 'the list', as the
Permit to Fly ran out on Thursday of this past week by the criteria laid
down I'm grounded until both annual AND Mod 70 are completed.

(I'm also now building an 'XS', kit 494, but being no where near putting the
lid on I asked Roger to put me to the back of the queue).

So, I have it, and I think Europa should be commended for this speedy
delivery. I shall email them accordingly.

Next question, do I want to fit it .........? I WILL fit it, obviously. But
do I WANT to fit it ...... call me an arrogant 'big head', but I spent a
very long time setting up the restraining cables in my aircraft, and without
turnbuckles (only 'cos I'm stoopid and didn't think of that :-) and the
existing set-up works perfectly, no signs of distress, no sideways movement
to speak of, doesn't rub on anything, doesn't clonk from side to side, no
ground loops or heavy landings to have weakened it or any of the multitude
of other parts that such events may inflict on any aircraft ........... but,
like others on this forum, I'm only an amateur engineer, so what do I know
.....?

Do I WANT to fit it ................ ummmmmmmmmm.

What if my second Mod 70 for my XS arrives a few months down the line,
marked as 'Mod 70 Mk 2', with no rubbing strips included and, instead, cable
restraining lugs welded on ........ ummmmmmm ........ errrrrrrrr .........
Would I want to retrofit a Mod 70 Mk 2 to my 'Classic' ....... ummmmmm
......... errrrrr. I think Mike Parkin and others have raised some very
pertinent issues.

Added to this, I have a personal problem! My other 'toy' is a Gazelle
helicopter, hence I'm a helicopter pilot too. And what that means is this
....... as American newsman Harry Reasoner once wrote:-

Airplane pilots are open, clear eyed, buoyant, extroverts, and helicopter
pilots are brooding, introspective anticipators of trouble. They know that
if something bad hasnt happened, it is about to!

I'm uneasy. I'd like to know more ...........

Bob Fairall (Europa 71 & 494 & Gazelle helicopter)