Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 12 Msgs - 03/09/05

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 12 Msgs - 03/09/05
From: simon miles <simon.miles@skynet.be>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:28:36

Simon,

I am aware of this campaign but I still can't get my head around the idea
that anyone who can afford to fly aeroplanes would *ever* let the cost of a
landing (and it's associated costs) let them "press-on".

Don't you agree that the availability of 'free-landings' is, perhaps, in
itself an invitation to "press-on". I'm assuming VFR flight here. Imagine,
you're flying home and due to circumstances beyond your control, a diversion
is inevitable. Beneath you is a perfectly servicable airfield in acceptable
weather but in a slightly remote location. To get home from there would
involve an expensive and long taxi ride or a stay in a nearby bed &
breakfast and in the hope you could continue the next day. If you can
"press-on" into the murk (only until it becomes unacceptable, of course) to
the 'free' airport which is nearer home and well served with buses, trains
(or where your other half could conveniently drive to), which would you
choose?

Alternatively, look at this way - you are driving home after the Christmas
holiday but exceptional snow conditions (i.e. loads of it!) means you can't
continue. When you present yourself at the nearest hotel (in preference to
freezing to death in your car) do you claim a free room because it's not
your fault you ended up there?

Simon Miles.
Europa Tri-gear #508,
Nearly finished and moved today to an airport (EBGR) at last...