RE: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 12 Msgs - 03/09/05

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 12 Msgs - 03/09/05
From: Simon Smith <jodel@nildram.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:03:15

Some people might not realise that there has been a long standing campaign
on behalf of AOPA UK by Charles Strasser to get all airfields in the UK to
accept CAA CAP 667 9.2(c) recommendation and not to charge GA aircrafts
making emergency or precautionary landings.

The full CAA CAP 667 9.2(c) recommendation states:- "There were a number of
fatal accidents where a timely diversion or precautionary landing could have
avoided an accident. In the UK there is a 'culture' of pressing on and
hoping for the best rather accepting the inconvenience and cost of a
diversion. This 'culture' needs to be changed, firstly by educating pilots
and secondly by persuading Aerodrome owners that there should be no charge
for emergency landings or diversions. It is recommended that all Aerodrome
owners be persuaded to adopt a policy that there should be no charges for
emergency landings or diversions by general aviation aircraft."

190 airfields ARE in the scheme. 17 are not (and LHR LGW & LCY were not
asked for obvious reasons).

The full list of airfields is at
http://www.aopa.co.uk/newsfromaopa/aopa189.pdf

Cheers