RE: Europa-List: Aircraft Winching

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Aircraft Winching
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 20:14:24

Steve:

I winch the monowheel tail first up on the trailer.  I have made a lanyard
out of aircraft cable with 2 loops on it to slip over the axel extensions
on the tailwheel.  The aircraft cg is very far forward without the wings
and tail installed.  I have had the aircraft nose over when going down the
ramp when paying out the strap too fast and then trying to stop the  motion
too fast.  My trailer is a dual axel flatbed.  I made an exension over the
tongue area to install the  winch and  to give a place for the tailwheel to
go.  The ramp has a good  incline to it as the flatbed is typically higher
than the  rail type trailers.  I went with a flatbed to offer a degree of
protection that the  rail trailers do not offer.  The  traffic here is
horrendous, I don't trust the aircraft on a small trailer on the  roads out
here.

Steve Hagar
N40 SH
A143