Europa-List: Oil in the intake

Subject: Europa-List: Oil in the intake
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:30:18
        2.00 DATE_IN_FUTURE_24_48   Date: is 24 to 48 hours after Received: date

My 914 has been installed for some time now (over a year) on the aircraft in the
garage.  It has  not been started yet however.  Last weekend I removed the
sparkplugs and rotated the prop through to bring up the  oil pressure and  get
oil pumping through the engine.  Received good pressure and continued for about
2 minutes by hand.

Went out to the garage today and found a puddle of oil under the  aircraft.
Removed
the lower cowl and  found the air filter saturated and dripping with oil.
Removed filter and observed turbo intake impeller area with mucho oil.    My
initial  assumption on this  is that by turning the engine by hand I am
pressurizing
the turbo sump.  But since there are no exhaust gasses driving the
wheel there is no scavenging  occurring and  the  oil is just filling  up the
turbo housing.   I am assuming that at the temperature the turbo runs at is that
it does not have  conventional oil seals that could have been damaged.   Do
I need to investigate the  matter further  or are my assumptions correct?  Input
---From the turboheads much appreciated.  Thanks

Steve Hagar
A143  N40SH
Mesa, AZ

Steve Hagar