Re: Europa-List: Blue corrugated tube for wing raceway

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Blue corrugated tube for wing raceway
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:12:57

> Thanks to many before me, I decided to install the blue corrugated
> tubing as a raceway for the pitot/static tubes and wiring.

Dou you mean corrugated around the circumference?  One advantage of
this conduit is easier for replacing/adding wires.  I'd want something
smooth, and ordinary polyethylene tubing is light, if maybe not the
lightest available.

If a builder wants to save all possible increments of weight, the
Grumman AA-x series of aircraft use rubber grommets in the wing ribs,
and the wings are glued together for very limited future access.  They
purposely do not neaten the bundle with ty-wraps, and flashlight
inspection down the 15-foot length will suggest it was an awful way to
do it.  There's a ty-wrap at the grommet at either end for a little
tension, so they don't flop too much., and there's a trick to add a
wire -- take an existing wire to pull through two new ones, scrap the
old one -- is why no internal ty-wraps.

After 30+ yrs in the fleet, there's probably some grommets gettin'
hard, and if one falls apart (the least accessible one!), wires will
chafe on thin metal.  No problem yet, maybe in another 15-20....  The
difference in the XS wing is you won't be able to sight down the run
with flashlight and tug on it to look for a problem at the grommets
you can see.  But there's no metal to short a wire either.  Builder
choice, IMO.

Reg,
Fred F.