Re: Europa-List: Question about Alodine

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Question about Alodine
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:41:41

<dsimenauer@cox.net>

> I just alodined some parts for the flying controls in preparation
for installation into the cockpit module.  All of the parts I alodined
took on the dull yellow color except for the CS07 bushings.  They are
just about their original color.  I gave them a second coat but the
results were the same.  Has anyone else come across this?  Are they
protected as they are now and just a different color?  If not, what
should I do?

Do you live in a salt air environment?  If not, aluminum inside the
cabin basically doesn't corrode, unless it is exposed frequently to
water.  Like a rain-leaky cabin, and the carpet remains wet for days.
I know this as owner of a 33 year-old aircraft which has been sitting
outside in a wet climate.  If it did corrode, it has to corrode down
to enough flakes and powder to fail the part structurally.  With
annual inspections, that shouldn't happen.  You'd early on hit it with
Boeshield or ACF-50, unless painted, as I have to only on aluminum
parts which are more exposed to the elements, like inside fairings
which have necessary big holes in them.  And the corrosion on them is
only surface, not yet a structural concern in 33 yrs.

Reg,
Fred F.