Re: Europa-List: allowing for paint

Subject: Re: Europa-List: allowing for paint
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:17:59

> Can anyone suggest how much to allow for painting when fitting
> flaps/ailerons etc. We have sanded back the upper wing skins
> and rear close outs so that the flaps and ailerons do not catch,
> but how much is painting likely to affect this clearance?
>
> Regards
> paul stewart

Paint mfrs generally say target is about 4 mils, w/o hinting how to
measure that!  So worst case with a clear coat system is -- including
primer but which needn't be 4 mils -- a total of 12 mils, or less than
1/64"/half an mm.  So, if your clearance looks minimal so that paint
is a factor, I'd say there's not enough.

Plastic things alter dimensions over time (but not like we do!), and
temperature/aerodynamics/wear have their effects.  I finally fixed an
interference issue re a plastic fairing/control surface on the AA-5,
causing only cosmetic paint damage.  There was always some gap there
on the ground in usual weather, but too little to me visually, and
complicated to fix.  But temperature/aerodynamics I guess came into
play.  Others may have in-service exp for the Europa on this, but
1/16" seems like bare minimum to me.

Reg,
Fred F.