Europa-List: Time - a diversion

Subject: Europa-List: Time - a diversion
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:58:19

Cheers,
        As you may have guessed, I'm not too keen on perfection as the
'ruling' authority sees it. Elapsed Time is what the Pilot-in-Command calls
it, not what some lower-grade mandarin deems it to be. For instance, counter
any complaint he has by asking him what "pilot in command" means. Here in
Canada they don't know what the term means. Ask your authority to define
it - you may be surprised.
        The pilot in command is responsible for the aircraft, crew,
passengers and cargo during flight (or he was for the first hundred years or
so of powered flight. Flight is defined as the time when the aircarft is
moving for the purpose of flight until the first exit is opened for the
purpose of disembarking - even if it's halfway up an eighty foot oak. That's
what responsibility pay is. If the pilot runs off the taxiway but it's not
flight time, then the tower should pay. If some grunt wants to designate
'propeller' time, or 'meal' time that's OK - but we shouldn't let them mess
with "flight" time - that's when flyers fly.
Ferg
A064