Re: Europa-List: Rocky Mtn. and lights

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rocky Mtn. and lights
From: Cliff Shaw <flyinggpa@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:25:19

Ron

I installed the Rickey Mountain Engine monitor because Bob Jacobsen used it
and he recommended using it.  It is OK.  I think better equipment is
available or about to be released now.  (Dynon) (because it is in color and
complements the best flight instrument for the money available) I am happy
with what I have because it was the best that I could afford at the time I
built "Wile E Coyote".  There are no backup engine gauges in my panel.

It works well on the Rotax.  The tachometer pickup needs a little special
consideration, but they have that fix.  I used miniature toggle switches to
switch carb temperature sensors.  I also installed two amperage sensors and
switch between battery and voltage regulator output with a toggle switch.
The switches cost $6.00 a piece, C&H brand ( if I remember correctly). I
used a water temperature probe in the little can under the radiator cap for
CHT.  I like it very much.  When water temperature is very important
taxiing.

The cooling modes I made have really fixed the overheating problems the
Europa some times has when making long taxies.

The landing lights I designed and built have not been used yet at night. I
do use them with the wig-wag feature during pattern work. Now that it gets
dark so early, I will give them a try. ( I live up North you know, sunset at
16:30)

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020