RE: Europa-List: The cooling deal

Subject: RE: Europa-List: The cooling deal
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:00:58

Dave;

I guess I should have bitched more at the $11.00 it cost to have it
delivered to the house. . . . Jeeze!!

Steve Hagar
hagargs@earthlink.net

www.evanscooling.com. If the issue of the price of the coolant that will be
added and kept in the airplane is a factor, one might not consider flying
as a recreation. The cost is a drop in the bucket. The reason they are
lowering the max CHT limit is because with water in there, it is possible
to boil the coolant before reaching your CHT limit now -  a highly
undesirable condition. In normal ops, I do not get over about 245 degrees F
with the fluid now. In flying, the concern should be non normal ops. We
have had a Europa crash due to high coolant temps during taxi out and then
taking off, resulting in a boil over, explosion of the overflow coolant
bottle (not vented well, resulting in the problem - later fixed by another
SB) and fluid coming over the windshield, engine failure and you can figure
the rest. To me having the option to take the CHT all the way up to 275F
without concern about the coolant is a very valuable fe!
> ature - it has a boiling point of 375F. The claim is that there is better
cooling due to no hot spots va[osizing the water, but that doesn't seem to
be what I am seeing right now. If anything, it seems to be running warmer.

> There is a reason they put out this service bulletin. If the cooling is
effective enough for warm weather, I will be very happy to have it in there
to have the piece of mind of not dealing with cooling system boiling. The
additional cost to fill with this fluid vs. normal fluid is about $15 -
hardly a factor in my plans for retirement. The biggest issue for me is
having to carry a supply of the fluid on a trip in case of needing to top
off the system.

> A point of interest - the fluid I removed looked as clean as the day I
put it in there after 260 hours of engine running time.