Europa-List: Cold temperature Operations

Subject: Europa-List: Cold temperature Operations
From: Steve Crimm <steve.crimm@stephenscott.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:38:58

Flight,

Knowing that there are Europa's flying in the cold north of Norway, when I
say cold when I really mean cool 40F.  My aircraft that I purchased, was
born and lived in Florida till just recently.  Now that it lives in Atlanta,
Georgia it will be flying in cooler weather.  Yesterday as I was beating the
air into submission I noticed that my ailerons were hitting a bump when I
passed through the neutral position.  Once on the ground I found that the
outboard portion of the aileron was rubbing against the outboard portion of
the trailing edge of the wing.  When I got the aircraft home and in the
garage where it warmed up, the gap between the aileron and trailing edge had
opened up allowing free travel.  Today I pushed it out in the cold while
still on the trailer and it did the same thing.

Obviously the fix is to sand a larger gap between the two.

Has anyone ever noticed this or any other kind of contraction due to
temperature in your aircraft and are there any other surprises to expect.

Thanks

Steve Crimm
N15JN
A058