RE: Europa-List: ELT use in UK/Norway

Subject: RE: Europa-List: ELT use in UK/Norway
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:24:33

Hi! Stephan/ Gerry.
The requirement for an ELT on a visiting homebuilt wasn't enforced
during my visits to Norway and that was after needing written
authorisation to fly in their airspace. However I can well understand
that it would be very intelligent to use one. So much of their terrain
is remote and hostile and even flight planning uses the general
description "coastwise" flying down their coast, believe me there is no
where to land except the major published airfields all about 200nm
apart! Were the "donkey" to stop it would be safer to ditch than try to
make a landing.  They even refuse flight plans further than 100NM from
land leaving their coast without an onboard dinghy. Flight planning and
clearance for every flight is compulsory.  Shetland was 198nm from
Bergen and just complied with their regulation without a dinghy.

Bob Harrison  G-PTAG