Europa-List: Lexan v. Plexiglas

Subject: Europa-List: Lexan v. Plexiglas
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:34:27

>Acrylic, chemical name polymethylmethacrylate, (trade names: Plexiglass,
>Lucite)  Perspex
>
>The real disadvantage of polycarbonate vs. acrylic is that polycarbonate is
>a softer material, so in the absence of a scratch resistant coating it is
>more easily scratched than acrylic which does not require a coating.

There's another problem, forming Lexan requires very high temperature,  and
the softening range is very narrow . Extremely difficult to handle
Graham

My reasons for not getting on with making lenses is the scrap rate! Had to
make 6 to get 2 good ones! I haven't given up but I need to get my Long EZ
out of the shed. Nothing to fly right now.
Graham