Europa-List: Auto-squelch on Icom A-200 Comm

Subject: Europa-List: Auto-squelch on Icom A-200 Comm
From: MJKTuck@cs.com
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 22:04:42

Hi Guys,

As a winter project, I'm thinking of installing a new transponder - my Terra
unit is going to cost way to much to even bench test it - yet alone repair it.

I'd rather spend a little more and get a brand new Garmin GX-327. I will also
replace the Terra comm which works OK but would need to be moved a little to
make room for the new Tpndr. I thought I would go for the Icom A-200 as it
seems to be a good unit.

The only question I have (apart from am I making good choices) is the Icom's
Auto-squelch feature. I found my Terra unit picks up the engine noise though
the mike and normally I use the squelch control until it disappears. With no
squelch control knob on the Icom unit how good will it be on controlling ambient

noise but not the passengers voice?

Anyone with any experience with the unit?

Regards,
Martin Tuck
Europa N152MT
Wichita, Kansas