Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 13 Msgs - 10/16/04

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 13 Msgs - 10/16/04
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:39:55

>Turbo, heater et.al.
>

>This might be good along with the discussion of the heater.
>
>I installed my heater idea which was to pull heat from behind the radiators. I
>used the same logic that Kevin did about the lack of CO - fresh air streaming
>down that duct, etc. On the way to OSH, it was providing heat which took
>the edge
>off the cold air up there at 17,500 feet. I have a cowl flap that can keep
>my temps up and that helps with the heat. The big problem was CO. I have
>an electronic
>CO detector and it indicated CO in the cockpit

I am disappointed with the design of the cooling duct on the XS. IMHO (in
other words my guess) the duct takes in about twice as much air as it needs
but doesn't duct it smoothly, neither is it properly sealed to keep CO etc
where it belongs. Not all the air coming in goes for cooling.
Look at the duct on a BanBi they don't overheat AFAIK. Inlet area is much
smaller, so is outlet.
The duct has to smoothly recover the pressure of the entering air, push it
through the radiators, and nowhere else, except the cabin for heating. then
accelerate it back to flying speed or better still, greater than flying
speed. I wish someone would refine the design a little. It would make the
airplane look even prettier. We should not be too hard on Ivan, he was
under pressure to generate some cash at the time. Quite a few folks jobs
depended on him not making too many bum decisions. Pity it was all wasted
when he was moved aside. (my view from some distance)
Graham
Graham