Europa-List: Scuff sanding

Subject: Europa-List: Scuff sanding
From: Fred R. Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:42:21

Hi All,

On the subject of "scuff sanding"...particularly in relation to preparation
for the 2" wide reinforcement tapes between the wing spar and skins...I've
read thru the manual as well as the matronics search without finding any
info which seemed relevant.

My concern is my uncertainty as to what constitutes adequate "scuff sanding"
in order to achieve required bonding.

As I sand the areas of the skins where the 2" reinf. tapes go, I note that
because of the weave of the glass on the skins, a pattern developes with the
high areas becoming whitish matte and the low areas remaining darker and
somewhat glossy; my fear is that if I continue sanding so that the area
becomes 100% "whitish matte", I will remove too much material and degrade
the strength value of the existing glass skins.

I'd be grateful to learn whether or not a consensus has been reached on this
issue as well as any individual comments from "those who have gone before"
me.

Fred
A194