RE: Europa-List: Jabiru 3300 Engine option

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Jabiru 3300 Engine option
From: Andy Silvester <info@suncoastjabiru.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 17:48:39

Hi Mike and listers,

Wow! I get back from my trip to a weekend show and see a bit of a scuffle
broke out, albeit (hopefully) good-natured. I did say in my original post
that I don't believe these owner / builder lists should be used for
advertising by guys like me, and I apologize if it looked that way. As I
said before, I think we have a very competitive product in the Jabiru
engine, but of course this can be a very subjective matter, especially when
we discuss looks, sound, etc. Let me also be clear that I believe the Rotax
is a great engine; I never 'rubbish' it (or don't mean to!), but try to
offer a view of it's capabilities and strengths alongside the Jabiru
alternative. I also have you guys (probably) at a disadvantage in that I
witness the comments made from satisfied Jabiru engine owners with aircraft
very similar to the Europa's speed range and general layout. I had to smile
when I saw the comment about me 'using the Europa web site as a market place
for (your) Jabiru engines', not because I don't take it seriously, but
because there are, of course Jabiru engines lists (some here will belong but
may never admit it! :)) and when an interloper comes in and starts singing
the praises of Rotax he will get the same response!

Anyway, Mike, I'm also aware of the history of cooling problems in UK
Europas and (honestly) can't understand why this was, or what happened. I'm
really not interested in digging-over those cases which is why I'm doing
Frank Wood's XS as a clean-sheet approach using MY experience. I'm happy to
be a member of this list on a 'reactive' basis; if I get asked a question,
I'll give a straight (no BS) answer, and based on fact if at all possible. I
was invited onto the list (thanks), but will equally be happy to leave if
there's a general feeling that I'm exploiting this space for commercial
reasons. It takes time to give considered responses rather than 'ours is
better than yours' rhetoric and I really don't want to be here if my

Andy

Suncoast Sportplanes, Inc.
www.suncoastjabiru.com