RE: Europa-List: Jabiru 3300 Engine option

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Jabiru 3300 Engine option
From: Andy Silvester <info@suncoastjabiru.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:55:58

Tony,

You're right; Jabiru make a cowling for the Europa and this has been around
for a few years. However, when I was approached by Europa in USA to produce
a complete firewall forward kit here, I decided to develop a new cowling for
the following reasons:

1. The Jabiru cowling was designed a few years ago, and is based on the
Jabiru aircraft cowling.

2. Europa's (then) management didn't like the look of the Jabiru cowling
offering, and wanted something more on the lines of the standard Rotax
Cowling. I accept it's a subjective opinion, but at the time, I took notice
of those who would be making key purchase decisions.

3. I have wanted for some time to adopt the 'Lo-Presti' style round cooling
openings, not only for looks, but for the fact that they are much more
efficient at high angles of attack than other shapes (the Jabiru standard
cowl has openings with straight lower edges, and this causes more turbulence
in the duct at high alpha angles).

I'm not pushing our design exclusively; if owners prefer the Jabiru cowling
(I too think it looks better than most), I'm happy to supply it.

Andy

Suncoast Sportplanes, Inc.
www.suncoastjabiru.com