Europa-List: Tri gear Brake Problems

Subject: Europa-List: Tri gear Brake Problems
From: Alan Burrows <alan@kestrelinsurance.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:33:49

Hi Guys
Yesterday I was due to fly to Prestwick and as I taxied around to the
runway, in 38kts of wind the aircraft locked the port wheel when I
applied a good amount of pressure to the finger brakes, trying to turn a
corner against the wind. Now this aint funny at a busy commercial
airport in driving wind and rain..! The brake was locked on solid and
the only way to free it was to remove the spats and slacken the bleed
nipple to release enough pressure to allow the piston to be pushed back
into the calliper. When I eventually made it back into the hanger I
applied the brakes again with the same result. Each time I use any force
on the lever it locks up the port brake. I discovered that if I rock the
parking brake lever backwards and forwards several times it does free
off the locked brake, so I guess the problem lies in there somewhere. I
will know more when I strip it all down. But in the meantime if anyone
has any suspicions of the levers feeling unusual or not returning
properly BE CAREFUL the next stage may be a lock up as I experienced in
the worst possible conditions. I suggest you give your levers a real
hard pull just to make sure they don't lock on..!
I will publish more when I have some diagnosis.
Cheers for Now

Alan
G-CBWF