Re: Europa-List: Skymap 111C

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Skymap 111C
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:23:39

Hi! Steve.
I have worked well with the Flight Star Planning system and the Skyforce
Tracker IIIC GPS.
Especially having Ivor Phillips with me also using his Garmin 296 with his
Navbox flight planning down loaded .
The benefits of using both together are really impressive. The Navbox System
does however seem to pick up more smaller fields (Unless me being a dinosoar
hasn't explored the Skyforce more thoroughly!)
However since landing from my European trip two weeks ago the Skyforce has
sat in my office unused until yesterday and bingo there was an internal
battery low warning.  All my previous flight planning has now gone, all the
damn settings have also gone. On enquiry at Bendix King it seems that from
the first warning of LOW Batteries you have a minimum of 50 hours (real time
not flying time) to change the batteries. Then to change the batteries you
need special instructions and a soldering iron! Hey Ho 'ere' we go again!
.....as the earwig said as he fell over the cliff !
Oh! BTW the Flight Star system did show me to fly through a mountain on
approach and departure from Lodrinho In Switzerland on the terrain profile.
Jefferson stand at Oshkosh two years ago refused to believe it so we had
them do a simulated route there and then on their big screen and hey presto
same mountain same problem, they weren't long taking it off screen !They
asked me to e-mail them about it later and they would attend to the problem.
After a number of e-mails I securred an admission that it had proved to be a
major engineering problem and to this date there's been no further
development. So be careful don't fly into mountains ......it's permanent!
Now since Tervor Pond has raised issue over new computors not having "Serial
Ports" I checked with the Bendix King Technical Guy and he says I do need a
USB Port to Serial Adapter but it may not work on some installations
but.....will have a better chance with Winows XP PRO !
"ere we go again" !
regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG Europa MKI/Jabiru 3300