Re: Europa-List: 912S Kick Back

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 912S Kick Back
From: Rocketman <topglock@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 16:12:58

bryan allsop wrote:

>Richard,
>I am sure that we have been here before.
>
>Try the following:-
>!. With the choke out, and throttle closed, turn the engine over with the
>starter.
>2. Switch a magneto switch on, and the engine just takes over.
>3. Clearly the starter switch can now be released, and the second magneto
>switched in.
>You will find no kick back on the sprag clutch, so it should last forever.
>
>I used to start my 912s with both mag switches on before starting, and  had
>the kick back. It does not happen now. Thanks go to William Mills for that
>tip, after he had spent 800 quid and three days replacing his sprag clutch.
>He told me that he probably would not have needed to do it if he had been
>able to take his own advice. His starter and mag. switches are not separate!
>
>The same seems to be true in reverse. To stop that nasty kick stop when
>switching off, pull back the revs to 1700, switch of one mag. When the revs
>drop back, switch off the other mag. I do it and get a nice soft engine
>stop. This may not work for everyone, but it works for me. Incidentally, I
>am still using an inexpensive gell 17ah battery,and the original starter
>after 285 hours
>
>Sadly, for those who have install those expensive all-in-one switches you
>can do either of these techniques, so you may have a difficult choice. New
>switches, or new sprag clutches.
>
>Hope that this helps.   Best regards. Bryan  G-BYSA

While on the subject of separate ignition switches and mags, and taking
into account some of the advice offered on this board, I've decided to
use a standard marine ignition switch on my bird, separating it from the
mags, which will be controlled by two rockers.  The ignition (or "on")
lug on the starter switch will be hooked to the trim power, so that when
the switch is on, the trim power will be on and hooked directly to the
battery, via the starter switch.  This will isolate the trim from all
other circuits and will allow me to turn it off, with the switch.

--
Jeff - A055
Fuse is finally out of the cradle