Re: Europa-List: Recombinant Gas batteries

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Recombinant Gas batteries
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:14:21

> According to Yuasa's web site, the NP series is unfortunately a deep
> cycle battery, not a starting battery.  You should have a battery
> which has a cranking amps spec, such as the Odyssey.
>
> Reg,
> Fred F.

Hi Fred

I did some more research last night and that is what came out.

In fact gas recombinant is quite common. There are three types of battery

Starting
Deep Cycle
Float

Starting gives oomph and lots of amps for a short time
Deep cycle is designed to be run down a long way before recharge (such as
for an electric wheelchair)
Float continuous trickle charge such as for UPS or alarm systems.

I have seen "Starting Batteries" mentioned at the these two retailers

Lyndhurst Touchdown Services - mention 912S and 16 Ahr is GBP 94
Groves

Does anyone know of any other suppliers of "Starting gas recombinant"
batteries in a area further east ?

Is there any reason why "starting gas recombinant" batteries are twice the
price of "deep cycle" ?

Thanks for the info.

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                                 email : rholder@avnet.co.uk
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, High Cross
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)