Re: Europa-List: Rough 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rough 914
From: Cliff Shaw <flyinggpa@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:55:42

Dave , Fred

My experience with rough running has lead me to believe the people at
Lockwood.  I call them with a long string of "rough running" symptoms and
right away they said  "Balance the Carburetors"

Now I consider my self a pretty good mechanical guy.  I thought I had them
balanced well.  BUT,  I got a Carb Balancing kit (manometer with tubes and
mercury) from a motorcycle shop.  It showed me the error of my thinking.

The end results is with a manometer (of two matched vacuum gauges) you can
get it right on.  In fact the bodan cable can be adjusted and a difference
in reading can be noted in 1/2 of a 6th of a turn of the nut. I used the
calculator to figure out the movement of the cable,  It is .002"  movement
of the bodan cable.  I measured that much difference in the vacuum on the
carbs.

The Lockwood people said the stain I saw was fuel.  It comes from the carbs
overflowing because the float vibrated and lets too much fuel in.  Smooth
running engines don't vibrate and the carbs don't overflow.  Another thing I
saw in reading up on this is that the carb balancing is a 100 hour service
recordation.

"That is my 2 cents worth. Thanks for listening !"

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425 776 5555

Flying and having a good time..  "Try it, you will like it !"
PS:  I got the Rotax MM in PDF from the link on the Europa factory web page.