Re: Europa-List: Rough 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rough 914
From: Fred R. Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:05:04

on 8/28/04 10:52 AM, Dave Anderson at dja767@charter.net wrote:

> Hi group,
>

> Here is another problem to solve. I have noticed a roughness at the middle
> range of RPM on the 914 engine...

>I never get easy problems. They always seem to be perplexing problems...

$.02 worth of comment, unfortunately of no help to Dave:

I'm most sympathetic with anyone who experiences recurring engine problems;
Dave's appears (to me) to be another of a long string of complaints or
difficulties by many Europa flyers with the Rotax engines. In reading them,
I am increasingly distressed in that one of the primary factors leading up
to my decision to buy the Europa was that it was paired with a reliable
engine based on current (rather than 1930-1940's) technology...I just
couldn't justify going with alternatives which relied on the
Lycoming/Continental paradigm.

---From the shared experiences I read about, my confidence in the Rotax appears
misplaced.

I'll be upfront by saying I've yet to invest a nickel in the Europa FFWD
kit, so I have an open mind (and eventually an open-but-limited-pocketbook)
to consider the obvious question about moving forward with my original
intention of sticking with the integrated, well-proven, stock,
company-supported, hi tech, Rotax FFWD package.

Perhaps I'm only reading about the squeaky wheels...perhaps there are
several hundred Rotax-engined Europas putting in fuel, tearing up the skies,
changing oil, having a ball and nary a squawk. I've monitored the
transatlantic globe girdling trip of that German diplomat (my apologies, his
name escapes me)...surely his installation speaks to reliability.
Unfortunately, my sense is that the Rotax needs a lot of, if not constant,
tweaking.

Of course I've read nothing to suggest that Rotaxes are falling out of the
skies, but my goal (or is it an impossible dream?) with my Europa is to log
500-1000 hours with only "normal" maintenance after an initial shakedown
...something akin to the 550 hrs. I've logged in my 1946 Stinson. Seems
reasonable what with our technological advances.

To that end, I'm willing to be shown the errors in my assessment, but I'm
also willing to look at alternatives...as long as I can stay away from
putting an original airframe/powerplant together, something which is far
beyond my competance. I would consider, for example, going with a CAM 125
ala Alex Bowman's monowheel, pictures of which along with minimal narrative
are available at http://www.firewall.ca/main.html (click on Photo Gallery),
should all FFWD components become available. (I first saw Alex's completed
ship at the EAA Arlington WA fly in and it was very impressive.)

...somewhat perplexed...

Fred
A194, happily starting on wings