Re: Europa-List: Battery Compartment in Rear - Fixing it down.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Battery Compartment in Rear - Fixing it down.
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:24:25

Mike Parkin wrote:

> It is true that the cables to a rear mounted battery would way more.
> However, I would argue that access is easier with a rear mounted
battery.
> Four screws of baggage bay panel as opposed to 20 or so screws in
the top
> cowling.  Furthermore, after jump-starting a flat battery to get you
home -

I agree, Mike, and would add also that if a 914 w/o two
battery/charging systems, jump-starting and then going flying I think
is risky.

Also, if an RG battery, there's no maintenance to do other than annual
inspection.  No gases to crud terminals, and charging and testing can
be done at any convenient access point.  It's moot if W&B dictates,
but an RG battery installed in the hot engine compartment can have
reduced useful life, and if alternator output voltage cannot be
adjusted, the more frequent need to recharge.  Which increases the
chances a jump start might be needed!

Reg,
Fred F.