Europa-List:

Subject: Europa-List:
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:19:10

Fred, I have the same vintage aircraft and experienced a similar situation.
Having
trimmed the perspex many years ago to the proper fit and just recently bonding
them in.  My perspex had curled up, thus when I placed the perspex in the
door frame it was short of the frame by 1/2 or more in some places from top
to bottom.  Sideways was pretty close.  Not to worry though.  Once I applied
some pressure in the center of the perspex it flattened out and everything fit
just has it had all those years before.  You might try placing the perspex
outside
and letting the sun warm it up so that it will conform better to the frame.
I think it will all work out for you.

Regards,

Erich Trombley N28ET

Hi, all --

I remembered doing a trial fit of each "Perspex" originally after kit
delivery, and I recall only modest trimming to be needed.  Now one
door's glass has shrunk up to 1/4" in some places.  Both are enough to
require rework of the rebates to provide bonding area.  They've also
shrunk mostly top/bottom, vs. fore/aft, so rework of the rebate can be
mostly at the top.

I checked the windscreen this A.M., after gathering nerve to do so,
and it has shrunk too, with probable fiberglass rework, even without
smoothing out some unsteady or (non-sober?) cutting by whichever
factory cut it .  I bought the kit all at once, and there were sticker
dates on some items in the fuse kit as old as 96-97.  So this acrylic
plastic may have seen quite a few birthdays to date, even if newer.

Has anyone encountered this?  Maybe someone with a many-year old
Europa may have observed a once nice fit of the door is now no longer
a pretty fit?

Reg,
Fred F.