Europa-List: Plexiglas tint

Subject: Europa-List: Plexiglas tint
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:26:27

>Hi All,
>
>I'm missing my windshield and windows, and now that I have some time before
>the issue can be dealt with, I'm looking for some advice and counsel as to
>whether to go clear, bronze, or grey tint.
>
>Uncertainty was in fact the reason I procrastinated on my order.
>
>Though the bronze is certainly attractive, I'm concerned with regard to its
>desireability for night flying.
>
>Looking around my local airport ramp, I find only clear windshields plus the
>occasional light blue/green tint in Bonanzas.
>
>Any thoughts?

Yes, I have, {;-)
I chose bronze because it removes only blue end of the spectrum, which
mostly includes the light scattered by haze, dust etc. There is a
noticeable increase in contrast, this is why the best pilots sunglasses are
bronze too. Grey tint removes all frequencies so reduces overall
information content with no improvement in contrast.
If night flying is important it may be that clear is the best. Clear is
best fpor photography too of course although really a direct vision panel
is neede, there are always reflections from inside the cockpit
Graham