Europa-List: EIS versus Steam Gauges

Subject: Europa-List: EIS versus Steam Gauges
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:30:41

From: "Ronald J. Parigoris" <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Subject: Europa-List: EIS
Anyone ot there flying with just an EIS with no Engine Steam Gauges and find it
acceptable?  thx. Ron Parigoris >>>>

Hi Ron,

I have an EIS plus an analogue tacho and analogue manifold pressure. I have
found
that the EIS is one of the best instruments in my panel - it is rock-solid
reliable. I would have no hesitation in removing the analogue tacho since I find
that I do not look at it because the EIS is so accurate and refreshes very
rapidly. (I would like to replace the tacho with a Digitrak which I lust for.)
I have all the engine variables set with alarms.

If you have a constant speed prop, I recommend you have an analogue manifold
pressure
gauge - it permits rapid and accurate power changes. If you use the EIS
to follow MP, you may have to change to a different page which is a bit clunky.

One final comment :- The fuel flow/totaliser option on the EIS is a good
investment.
It is very accurate and provides great peace of mind on a long trip by giving
the calculated endurance. I just keep a healthy margin between that number
and my GPS ETE (estmated time enroute), there is no mental arithmetic. Finally,
I set my low fuel alarm at 4 gallons.

Cheers, John

N262WF, mono XS, 912S, Whirlwind C/S prop