Europa-List: Flying report OSHKOSH

Subject: Europa-List: Flying report OSHKOSH
From: Cliff Shaw <flyinggpa@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:02:43

All

The wife and I have just completed the biggest adventure of our life.  It
was a trip to Oshkosh EAA convention. What a big event. We flew cross
country 1,657 miles, over the Rocky Mountains in Montana and across North
Dakota. When departing the Fly-in we headed SW  1,519 miles to visit my
ageing Dad in Arizona. Then  over to California and North to KPAE, Everett,
Washington  USA , home !  The total distance was 4,632 miles, in 36 flying
hours. The hole trip was a series of short two to three hour trips. I
planned to go from airport to airport, checking the weather ahead each stop.

We had some very interesting experiences with free cars and being strangers
in small towns.  The weather was very good for flying. Hot though! Like in
Pratt, Kansas,  where we bought gas and had a rest.  It was 101 F with a
humidly so high it looked like it would rain.

The hottest I saw the H2O temperature on my engine monitor was 100C and the
oil never got that high.  I attribute this to the cooling mods I have done
to the intake and exit air and the relocation of the oil cooler. The weather
was hot every where we flew.  I went up to 8500 feet lots of times to get
OAT down to 75F.

In servicing the plane today, I found a crack in my muffler (silencer). The
weld broke on the aft port side inlet.  Fortunately there was a forum
subject the other day about the supplier Europa used for the muffler.  I am
hoping I can buy a replacement and get flying again.  We had so much fun.

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425 776 5555