Re: Europa-List: Alodine advice

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Alodine advice
From: Mike Baker <galahav@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 10:39:54

Alodine is a chromate chemical conversion coating.
search using that
application is easy. wear rubber gloves.  usually
degrease, Scotch brite,  acid etch, and apply alodine,
then rinse in water. this is a loctite site that gives
the numbers.
http://www.loctiteaero.com/index.cfm?ID=170
I don't know where you live but chromate's are heavy
metals and have a bunch of restrictions. water soluble
and reactive(EPA)
might be better to make parts and find a local fab
shop to do the metal prep and eroxy prime. even thru
color coat. you may be able to order alodine thru
aircraft spruce. 1201 is gold, 1001 is no color. most
unpainted brite surfaces use the no color, most
painted parts use the gold.
plastic containers for etch and alodine because the
chromate will react with metal and weaken (even
eliminate the chromate from) the broth. . mechanical
application for touch up usually is to wipe surface
with rag coated in liquid. most specs say that wiping
of the surface is treatment enough. a long soak in the
alodine bath will give a nice gold color but it
doesn't add any more protection than the wipe.
some paints use other metal preps for conditioning the
metal surface prior to paint application. you can ask
your local paint rep.