Europa-List: Facet pump mounting/Fuel Plumbing Setup

Subject: Europa-List: Facet pump mounting/Fuel Plumbing Setup
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 12:00:49

Gidday,
I am in the process of mounting my fuel pumps as I build up my fuel system
in the module before bonding it in, soon. I am setting up for a 912S with
"no mechanical fuel pump, just 2 Facets". So, I have set it all up with the
Facet pumps inverted under the ply shelf that supports my finger brake
module. My question is, in the Facet instructions it mentions orientating
the pumps such that they are angled at 45 degrees upward, tank on low side,
so is my setup with them horizontal and inverted likely to be a problem??
The facets are an interruptor pump with a plunger valve that oscillates
within a chamber subject to an oscillating magnetic field. I can't figure
out looking at the diagram at
http://www.ppavionics.com/FacSolidState.htm
why 45 degrees is required other than if it has something to do with the
priming ability. I am not sure but the pump I am using, the 40108 can draw
a head of 18" as I recall, but I suppose the issue may be the fact that the
pump can only pump fuel uphill if primed, not prime itself. Can these pumps
prime themselves???
Lastly, if my fuel pumps are elevated and are approx at the height of the
saddle, and I don't have a mech fuel pump, is this setup got too many
hassles with it?? It is simply a good place to put everything, hanging
under or on this shelf that I have, but it may not be the wisest place
after all. Any help gratefully accepted.