Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 10 Msgs - 07/15/04

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 10 Msgs - 07/15/04
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:24:17

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred R. Klein" <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Subject: Re: Europa-List: not really
<fklein@orcasonline.com>|
| on 7/17/04 5:23 AM, Fergus Kyle at VE3LVO@rac.ca wrote:
| > Hi,
| > I understand from the Calgary crew (whose aircraft was registered
| > with AUW of 1500#) that the maximum is calculated basically from the
wind
| > area and type of aircraft. I don't know the formula yet, but suspect
that
| > structural considerations may be missing or developped another way.
| > Ferg| > A064
|
| Hi Ferg,
| Who, pray tell, are the Calgary crew?
| When I mentioned a Canadian registered Europa approved at 1500# I was
| referring to Alex Bowman's ship...are there more Canadian Europas flying @
| 1500#?   Fred A194

Well, Fred, and Kingsley.......
            You have unmasked me. I think it was OSH where I met one of a
pair of successful builders. In the course of complimenting him on his
success (He from Calgary, alt_3500ftASL), he allowed as how he had sold it.
When I asked him how the a/c behaved at that altitude - CYYC is famed for
snow in every month of the year AND really hot summer days too - he said
there was never any hint of hesitation from the 914-powered machine, nor was
it particularly light in weight. The he dropped the news that theirs had
been registered at 1500#AUW, and gave me the reason - as I have you.
            I was trying to hide the fact that (a) I've forgotten his name
and (b) haven't gone into it properly, so don't have the formula.
Nevertheless, I believe it to be so, and am not going to publicise it again,
as don't want it rescinded till mine is done..........   The government has
found further riches in its clawing for our lives by requiring a NavCan fee
yearly, based on their usurping of the weather services (which they deem we
all use) and their invaluable contribution to mankind of directing many of
us down the same paths so they can be paid to keep us apart.  This ripoff is
based on WEIGHT - mainly I suppose because an aircraft below 600-odd kilos
doesn't use nearly as much of their expertise as does one weighing 750
kilos. Remember, this is annually till I die - and beyond.
            See what you've done.............!
Ferg