Europa-List: Riveting aileron hinges

Subject: Europa-List: Riveting aileron hinges
From: Andrew Sarangan <andreweuropa@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:22:33

When attempting to rivet the hinges in place, I
discovered that there is not enough verical space in
the leading edge "V" to accomodate the rivet tails. As
a result, I am unable to set the rivet heads flush on
the flange before compressing them. This is
particularly bad for the row of rivets closest to the
"V" than the farthest row.

As I see it, I have two options: drill small holes,
perhaps 1/8" deep, on the other side of the "V" to
create extra room for the rivet tails. I don't like
this idea too much because that would mean 7 holes
under each hinge that is likely to weaken the glass.

Or, I could slowly compress the rivets and hope that
the head settles on the flange before the stem breaks
off. This sounds like a good plan, but if I remember
correctly, the entire riveting took place in one big
'bang' and there was hardly much control on the rate
of compression. I don't want to end up with rivets
heads that sit several mm proud of the flange surface.

I am sure I am not the only one who has encounetered
this problem. Any ideas?

=====
Andrew Sarangan
http://www.geocities.com/asarangan