Europa-List: Europa Max weight limits

Subject: Europa-List: Europa Max weight limits
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:15:22

>> The problem with heavy engines is
>> that you have less weight available for baggage. The 1370lb limit is a
>> structural limit not a performance limit.
>>
>> Nigel Charles
>
> NIgel
> you are absolutely right. The strength issue is the fuselage cannot take
> any more forward load at high AoA. We already have the tie bar to stop the
> wings pulling forward at hi G( I know, very hard to believe but it's true)
> Graham

I am most interested to try to understand why in the US the max weight is
1450 pounds, and then I read this week on this List that a Canadian Europa
had been permitted to fly with a 1500 pound max weight.

Now this might be because it had a heavy engine and it was expedient to up
the max. But was anything done structurally to allow/justify this ?

The original weight limit was 1300 which was upped to 1370 with the tie bar
kit.

My kit 51 Classic with tri-gear came out at 875 pounds. So an expansion to
1450 (or better 1500) would allow me to take fatter people (or more luggage
!)

This is all tongue-in-cheek as I know the PFA are much more conservative
(with a small c) than the EAA. [As proved by the way that sticking an "N"
number on the side magically makes it IFR, night and Aeros rated !]

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                                 email : rholder@avnet.co.uk
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, High Cross
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)