Re: Europa-List: Engine Choices

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Engine Choices
From: Fred R. Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:32:07

on 7/15/04 10:13 AM, nigel charles at nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk wrote:

> <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
>
>> The fellow who did his engineering for it, Neal Villon (sp?), was also
> there
> and I was able to talk with him and Alex at length. Of course weight was an
> issue and they have stipped away 17 lbs. from the stock CAM 125; I cannot
> provide precise weight figures, but the 125 hp appears to more than
> compensate for any increase in gross.<
>
> Power is not the issue. The 100hp Rotax provides plenty especially in
> conjunction with a constant speed prop. The problem with heavy engines is
> that you have less weight available for baggage. The 1370lb limit is a
> structural limit not a performance limit.
>
> Nigel Charles

Hi Nigel,

Your point is well taken.

Reading from a flyer extolling the CAM 125 installation in the Europa (which
includes, I note that the gross weight has been increased and approved (in
Canada) at 1500 lbs. How that translates into the Europas overall structural
strength is beyond my expertise. The flyer describing the install was
printed by Airspeed Products, PO Box 127, 5010 - 48th Ave., Delta, B.C. CAN
V4K 3N6,
email: amhd@island.net

The flyer notes that the modified CAM 125 engine weight (including
alternator, starter, and exhaust system) is 231 lbs. I am unsure as to
whether or not this figure includes coolant, radiators, and perhaps
additional weight in a robust cowl with integrated monowheel fairing.

I do know that Alex Bowman's first career was that of a CAN military test
pilot, and his engineer designs, fabricates, and sells airframe accessories
for the Dehaviland Beaver and Cessna 180 float planes. They appear to be
well grounded in what they're up to. Alex lives on a somewhat remote island
near Vancouver Island and mentioned that he does not yet have -but is
anticipating- internet service. If and when he gets it, I hope we'll hear
more about this CAM 125.

Fred