Re: Europa-List: exhaust fumes/ cockpit

Subject: Re: Europa-List: exhaust fumes/ cockpit
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:51:54

Hi Jon,

We also had CO in our cockpit and found two fixes necessary.  The first
was to seal the flap drive slot in the fuselage, using a piece of cowl
seal.  The second was to fit an engine compartment baffle, between the
foot wells and to close off most of the upper cowl vents.  This is all
documented in the Europa-USA website, at;
http://www.europa-usa.com/n135TD.htm

We were getting 70+ ppm CO, which is enough to cause concern, especially
at higher altitudes where there is less oxygen to begin with.

regards,
Terry Seaver
A135/N135TD

Jon Smith wrote:

>Hi everyone, I'm a new boy to Europa's, having just bought a completed one
>(G-TERN)
about 4 months ago - and have enjoyed every minute of it so far!

>I've noticed that I'm getting exhaust fumes into the cockpit (faint smell from
time to time).  On a two hour flight recently my CO detector (plastic card type)
started to go grey - not good!  Also, at high angles of attack and power -
like just after take off - rather hot air is finding it's way in to the cockpit
- seems to be up through the tunnel.  Not too bad in winter but quite unpleasant
in summer!

>Could anyone advise me if these are known problems with Europa's and what I
>should
be looking at to cure it.

>My cockpit is not upholstered yet but a kit came with the plane to do it.  None
of the gaps into the cockpit are sealed - ie I can see the ground through the
undercarriage and brake levers!  Also through the rudder pedal tube exit holes.

>Should I be looking to seal every gap like this up?  (Good to do before the
>upholstery!)
If so, what do people use to block the gaps - some sort of door draft
excluder brush strip, or soft rubber perhaps?