Europa-List: exhaust fumes/ cockpit

Subject: Europa-List: exhaust fumes/ cockpit
From: Jon Smith <jon.smith680@tesco.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 07:47:58

Hi everyone, I'm a new boy to Europa's, having just bought a completed one
(G-TERN)
about 4 months ago - and have enjoyed every minute of it so far!

I've noticed that I'm getting exhaust fumes into the cockpit (faint smell from
time to time).  On a two hour flight recently my CO detector (plastic card type)
started to go grey - not good!  Also, at high angles of attack and power -
like just after take off - rather hot air is finding it's way in to the cockpit
- seems to be up through the tunnel.  Not too bad in winter but quite unpleasant
in summer!

Could anyone advise me if these are known problems with Europa's and what I
should
be looking at to cure it.

My cockpit is not upholstered yet but a kit came with the plane to do it.  None
of the gaps into the cockpit are sealed - ie I can see the ground through the
undercarriage and brake levers!  Also through the rudder pedal tube exit holes.

Should I be looking to seal every gap like this up?  (Good to do before the
upholstery!)
If so, what do people use to block the gaps - some sort of door draft
excluder brush strip, or soft rubber perhaps?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Jon Smith