Europa-List: Rant

Subject: Europa-List: Rant
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 23:43:07

> I had a hard time finding insurance as well.

> First they had down that it has a retractable landing gear.  After a few
> phone calls, and a picture the price dropped down 1/2.
>
> So In Amarillo Texas, with three people flying it, one of them with only 175
> hours Total Time,
> our insurance is 2,200$ a year.  Each of us had to fly 5 hours with a CFI.
> It seems that the insurance market is restricted to a couple of underwriters
> who will provide coverage for experimental aircraft in the US.  Also it is
> still be a cost issue in that coverage would still cost about $2500.00 US
> whether conventional or tri-gear.

I read all this about the "high" prices for stuff in the US with amusement.

I know a guy in DE who built an RV6A and he thought that $900 for insurance
was high. And you think $2200 is high for three people one with quite low
hours.

You guys should think yourselves lucky.

Over here insurance is at least $2500 and maybe more. My first year was
$3000.

And I also read of people who say that they spent $55000 building their
Europa. Here if you buy the kits and the rest of the stuff including
reasonable instrumentation and the sensible mods like the speed kit it works
out at close to 50,000 which is $85000. I wonder why everything works out
more expensive here ? Understandable if it was a US kit (like a RV which
would have to be shipped over here). But this is an English kit.

PhD thesis - Explain this phenomenon :-) Tax (VAT) at 17.5% explains some of
it (10 % more than the average sales tax there), although when I think about
it you don't pay sales tax on Europa kits unless you live in FLA - right ?

I also see that there are complaints there that AVGAS 100LL is now up to $3
a US gallon - here it went past $7 a US gallon some time ago !

Lots of smilies :-)))))))))))))))))

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                                 email : rholder@avnet.co.uk
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, High Cross
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)