Europa-List: Subaru engines

Subject: Europa-List: Subaru engines
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:08:22

>From: "Neville Eyre" <neville@europa-aircraft.com>
>Hi All,
>When you fit a Subaru powerplant to a Europa [whoever makes the conversion
>kit],
>because of the extra weight over and above that of a Rotax, the increased
>polar
>inertia totally messes up a very fine handling aeroplane.
>Look at the AAIB records to see that most of the Europa's involved in ''engine
>failure incidents'' have been powered by Subaru.There does not seem to be any
>problem with the Subaru part of the equation, only the add on systems.
>Cheers,
>Nev.

Neville is right about that with regard to the Europa, however most were
fitted with NSI conversions and the gearbox was usually the culprit. There
are several other conversions however, if I had an RV I might consider one,
there are several successful 2.5 liter conversions out there, not least
Charlie Airesman with a very fast, efficient Vari Eze
Graham