Re: Europa-List: Cooling

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cooling
From: James Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 20:49:19

Karl,
        Do you have a Mono-wheel?  That model seems to have the most
problems with high temps on the ground.  If you have a Tri-Gear, It
doesn't have cooling problems at all.  In fact it runs too cool. I don't
have the shroud for the top of the engine.  The issue is getting heat
---From the water and oil while taxiing for any time on the ground.

Jim
N15JN

writes:

> Jim,
>

> I am not sure that all that extra work is necessary. I did the
> standard factory installation with staggered radiators, and making
> sure that all air from the main scoop goes through and not around
> them. I have not had any cooling problems with my 912S, even in very
> hot weather. I closed the large Naca scoop in front of the oil tank
> with tape, and still no cooling problem. I think that the shroud
> over the top of the 'S' engine is very effective.
>

> Karl
>

> From: James Nelson europajim@juno.com
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
> Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cooling
> Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 18:39:03 -0400
>
> -- Europa-List message posted by: James Nelson europajim@juno.com
>
> Hi Paul,
>  I did the smoothing out of the inlet all the way to the radiator.
> I also included a cooling flap at the outlet of the duct. Ifyou are
>
> doing the factory thing, make sure that NO air get around the oil
> and
> water radiators.The air will go to the path of least resistance.Use
>
> the rubber fabric if necessary to blank off areas where the air will
> go.
> I went the unique way and redid the cooling system.I have a separate
>
> oil cooling radiator (original Europa cooler) that has its own duct
>
> inlet.The main large duct is only for the water radiator.It works
> very well for my 912 S.I also have some pix if you want to see them.
>

> Jim Nelson
>

> europa@pstewart.f2s.com
> writes:
>   -- Europa-List message posted by: Paul Stewart
>   europa@pstewart.f2s.com
>
>   Having read several threads rel;ating to cooling recently esp.
>   relating
>   to the 914, I'm keen to get this as efficient as possible. I have
>
>   seen
>   several examples offolk smoothing the transition of the lower
>   cowling
>   air intake onto the lower surface of the cowling itself. Has anyone
>
>   done
>   any more to reduce the sharp edges of the cooling intake as I seem

>   remember it being suggested air flow could get so turbulent as to
>
>   virtually reverse.If anyone has any pics ofwhat they might have
>
>   done, I'd be very grateful.
>
>   Regards
>
>   Paul
>
>   G-GIDY