Re: Europa-List: External Power Connection

Subject: Re: Europa-List: External Power Connection
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:56:06

----- Original Message -----
From: "Troy Maynor" <wingnut54@charter.net>
Subject: Europa-List: External Power Connection

| Hi All,
| I want to put in an external power connection (piper style) that I found
at
| S n F. Reason being, If I ever get caught out somewhere and temporarily
run
| down the battery for a poor starting technique or some other reason, it
will
| be a little tricky to get the cowling back on after start. ;)  For those
of
| you that have installed a ground power plug, where is the ideal place to
| locate it? I was thinking about stealing one fine gentleman's idea that
| lives in Tampa, but hate to run that much copper from the RH footwell to
| behind the pilots seat. It may be the only safe place though. Any thoughts
| and suggestions.
| Troy Maynor
| N120EU Monowheel Classic
| Left to finish:
| Paint,interior,engine install, wiring.

 Troy,
            Over 'ere we call that a GPU socket (ground Power unit).
            I fussed over where to set my Piper style (stolen from the files
of Bob Nuckolls - using toilet seat hinge bolts etc) but wanted to be sure
the 'ground grunt' didn't step into the the prop after startup to yorque the
cable and plug out. The main consideration is having either the socket area
in sight or reachable for reasons of safety. It should be close to the
battery and other heavy cable units for weight reasons and I was going to
put it behind the wingflap root.
            However, [1] I decided to have a forward battery at firewall
site (with mebbe a second back behind if needed) and [2] to make it
available to me, so decided to put it just under the instrument panel port
end. So it sits close to the NACA cabin air inlet (just below actually) and
I can reach it with the door half-cocked, while the ground power unit -
battery cart - whatever - sits behind the port wingroot, cable over the
wingwalk.
            That way, I see where the GPU erk is, can cut the engine if
someone approaches the live prop, and release the plug and cable rearward so
he can haul in and secure.
Hope that's of use,
Ferg A064