Re: Europa-List: Ceiling Panel Compasses

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ceiling Panel Compasses
From: Carl & Dot <carlp@ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:52:29

Have been flying with said configuration for a year and no problems. We also
have a WW2 remote compass (sender mounted up the back) and they both agree
(as far as we can determine). We are certainly not aware of any interference
with the coaming mounted compass.

Reason we fitted the SIRS compass was as a backup because the fluid leaked
out of the original WW2 compass sender and the original compass jammed. When
we took it apart we found the gasket on the compass housing had been bodged
(a reconditioned unit). We have manufactured a proper gasket and a year on
both compasses are working fine (and seem to agree).

And if two compasses werent enough, we tend to use the compass rose on the
Garmin GPS3 as the primary reference, with the magnetic compasses as
backup - are we taking redundancy too far?