Re: Europa-List: Tailwheel bearings

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tailwheel bearings
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@btclick.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:44:32

Duncan,

When I replaced the original pneumatic 8" tailwheel of my early
"Classic" with the newer solid wheel assembly, I was appalled by the
fact that the replacement had cheap (non aviation quality) bearings and
no spacer between to support the clamping force.

I removed the bearings and spacer from the original - and machined out
the new wheel to accept them. It took about an hour on the "Myford" and
didn't cost a penny. The wheel now runs perfectly true, feels smoother
and can be clamped positively without that horrible "gradual tightening"
feeling.

I believe you too have one of the early classics - so you might want to
dig out the original wheel and rob the bearings and spacer?

Nigel