RE: Europa-List: Tailwheel bearings

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Tailwheel bearings
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@growzone.com.au>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:44:56

Duncan McFadyean wrote:
> Has anyone tried to replace the bearings to the solid XS-style
tailwheel (ie
without replacing the whole wheel asembly). How easily do the old
bearings
come out and is there a standard part that can replace them?

Duncan,

I am in the process of doing this right now.  The first bearing will tap
out quite easily with a round punch put through the hole in the opposite
side bearing and onto the outer ring of the bearing to be removed.  Just
tap gently with a hammer and ensure you run the punch around the bearing
in order to keep it as straight as possible as it is coming out.  The
second one is even easier.

The bearings in these wheels are 'wheel barrow' bearings would you
believe ?  After seeing how they are made, I wouldn't even put one in a
wheel barrow.

I have purchased two fully sealed quality bearings of the same imperial
size (sorry haven't seen them yet so don't know the number) and I am
having circlip grooves machined inside the wheel in which to install
circlips to limit the inward positioning of the new bearings.

Hope this helps.

Pssst  - don't tell Renshaw!!

Regards
Kingsley Hurst