Re: Europa-List: Ground plane size for GPS antenna

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ground plane size for GPS antenna
From: Jim Brown <acrojim@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:00:36

I have been watching  this thread on GPS antenna ground plane for several days.
I will share my experience thus far.

I have the Apollo GX 65 GPS which is IFR certified for enroute navigation. In
talking
to an electronics installer, he suggested that I simply install the antenna
on a shelf made out of fiberglass behind the baggage compartment and see
what happens. I did just that, and for 500+ hours I have never had a problem
with
the signal strength. It has always put me where I needed to be, when I am
on a flight plan.

n3eu@comcast.net wrote:

> > I have an alternative suggestion.
> >
> > With leftover resin and 'bid' make a 4 layup sheet (150mm square minimum)
> > with a 25mm flange included on one side (peel ply the outer edge of the
> > flange). Include a sheet of tinfoil between the 3rd and 4th layers and
> > leave a central hole in the 4th layer to enable electrical contact.
>
> Before doing all this work, if the GPS receiver has a means to display signal
strength etc., one can temporarily rig a ground plane out of anything metal and
likely see nothing, except for possible minor effects re proximity to the earth
and nearby metal buildings.  Ground plane and GPS have to do with a phenomenon
which exists on the ground, not airborne, especially in a nonmetal airplane.
Is it really likely the avionics mfr forgot to mention a ground plane, but
their install manual contains discussion on the more complex topic of
reradiation
interference?