Re: Europa-List: Ground plane size for GPS antenna

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ground plane size for GPS antenna
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 15:32:29

> I am installing a GX60 and I seem to recall a minimum size requirement for
> the GPS antenna, however upon scouring the installation manual I can't
> find a reference to this.  Has anyone out there had experience with
> installing approach certified GPS unit and have any recommendations ?
>
> Thanks Paul

My Apollo GX-65 manual is silent re ground plane also, likely due to its being
largely irrelevant for airborne use.  The circularly polarized antenna inside
is of unique design, nothing like a 1/4-wave whip antenna which needs a ground
plane for sure. It's thus designed to work in conjunction with the metal base
of the antenna package they give you.

Regards,
Fred F.