Re: Europa-List: Ground plane size for GPS antenna

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ground plane size for GPS antenna
From: nigel charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:27:30

>I am installing a GX60 and I seem to recall a minimum size requirement
for the GPS antenna, however upon scouring the installation manual I
can't find a reference to this.  Has anyone out there had experience
with installing approach certified GPS unit and have any recommendations<

>A cd works great!  (AOL is good for something!)<

The CD may work OK but just need to make sure you get a good electrical
contact for the screen. Also it is on the small side of what is recommended
(5.5" or 150mm) and you still need to arrange a mounting.

I have an alternative suggestion.

With leftover resin and 'bid' make a 4 layup sheet (150mm square minimum)
with a 25mm flange included on one side (peel ply the outer edge of the
flange). Include a sheet of tinfoil between the 3rd and 4th layers and leave
a central hole in the 4th layer to enable electrical contact. After cure,
the two corners away from the flange can be rounded to avoid sharp
projections. Drill the centre to accept the aerial (antenna) mounting.
Choose a position in the rear fuselage (away from any metal parts) along the
side where the skin is vertical and abrade the surface. Redux the sheet
using the outer flange to the fuselage wall so that the sheet projects
horizontally away from the fuselage skin. The aerial can be mounted upwards
or downwards whichever is more convenient.

Nigel Charles